- Since 08/2018 Lecturer in Health Care and Nursing
- 2015- 2016 Centre Head, Maggie's Fife. Maggie's is a charity providing free cancer support and information in centres across the UK.
- 2010-2015 Cancer Research UK Senior Research Nurse/Research Fellow, School of Nursing and Midwifery, University of Dundee
- 2009-2010 Senior Research Officer, Queensland University of Technology, Brisbane
- 2006-2009 Senior Research Officer/NMAHP Postdoctoral Fellow, Central Queensland University, Rockhampton
- 2003-2006 Doctoral Student, School of Nursing and Midwifery, University of Dundee
- 2000-2003 Research Nurse, School of Nursing and Midwifery, University of Dundee
- 1998-2000 Senior Staff Nurse, Plastic and Reconstructive Unit, Wellington Hospital, London
- 1997-1998 Staff Nurse, Cardiothoracic rotation programme, Royal London NHS Trust, London
- 1995-1997 Staff Nurse, Specialist Surgery, NHS Tayside, Dundee
Evidence-based nursing Introduction to nursing science and research Being chronically ill Bachelor's and Master's theses
- 2014 European Oncology Nursing Society Research Travel grant
This travel grant was awarded to allow me to collaborate with Dr. Yvonne Wengstrom at the Karlinska Institute in Sweden. I was investigating how women experience concomitant endocrine therapies that they undergo after a breast cancer diagnosis. Dr. Wengstrom has many years of clinical and research experience and ran a clinic specifically for this group of women. My goal was to learn from the Swedish model and collaborate with her to develop more effective models of care.
- 2012 Dundee Cancer Centre Development Fund. Adherence to adjuvant endocrine therapy: a qualitative study exploring the experiences of women treated for breast cancer. Harrow A, McCowan C, Wells AM, Radley A, Parsons P, Thompson AM.
- 2012 Dundee Cancer Centre Development Fund. ‘Do participants in influential breast cancer trials reflect the community-based breast cancer patient population in Tayside? Comparing trial eligibility/ineligibility criteria against a 16-year cohort of women in Tayside with breast cancer’. Treweek, S, Harrow A, McCowan C.
- 2012 Dundee Cancer Centre Development Fund. Vacuum assisted percutaneous sentinel lymph node biopsy in breast cancer patients: a feasibility study. Evans AJ, Whelehan P, Harrow A, Vinnicombe S, Wells EM, Purdie C.
- 2006 NHS Tayside Acute Services Division Grant Scheme (£12 797) Using visualisation to change illness perceptions and improve recovery following a diagnosis of cancer: A pilot study to inform the development of an intervention for a RCT. Harrow A, Taylor C, Wells EM, Humphris G, Williams B.
- Treweek S, Dryden R, McCowan C, Harrow A, Thompson AM.
Do participants in influential breast cancer trials reflect the community-based breast cancer patient population in Tayside? Comparing trial eligibility/ineligibility criteria against a 16-year cohort of women in Tayside with breast cancer (2015) European Journal of Cancer 51(8) 907-914
- Harrow A, Dryden R, McCowan C, et al.
A hard pill to swallow: a qualitative study of women's experiences of adjuvant endocrine therapy for breast cancer. (2014) BMJ Open 4 (6)
- Kotronoulas G, Kearney N, Maguire R, Harrow A, Di Domenico D, Croy S, MacGillivray S.
What is the Value of the Routine Use of Patient-Reported Outcome Measures towards Improvement of Patient Outcomes, Processes of Care, and Health Service Outcomes in Cancer Care? A Systematic Review of Controlled Trials (2013) Journal of Clinical Oncology 32 (14) 1480-1501
- Happell B, Harrow A.
Nurses’ attitudes to the use of seclusion: A literature review (2010) International Journal of Mental Health Nursing 19 (3) 162-168
- Harrow A, Wells M, Barbour RS, Cable, S.
Ambiguity and Uncertainty: The ongoing concerns of male partners of women treated for breast cancer (2008) European Journal of Oncology Nursing 12 (4) 349-356
- Harrow A, Wells M, Humphris G, Taylor C, and Williams B.
“Seeing is believing, and believing is seeing”: an exploration of the meaning and impact of women’s mental images of their breast cancer and their potential origins (2008) Patient Education and Counseling 73 (2) 339-346
- Wells M, Harrow, A et al
Patient, carer and health service outcomes of nurse led early discharge after breast surgery: A randomised controlled trial (2004) British Journal of Cancer 91 (4) 651-658