Things to know before you travel

In order to avoid unpleasant surprises when you travel to Austria and during your stay in Vorarlberg, we recommend that you become familiar with the current legislation well before your travel date so that you can make the necessary arrangements.

Visa & Conditions of Residence

  • Verify whether you require an entry or residence permit to travel to or stay in Austria and apply well in advance if necessary.
  • Ensure that your passport is valid for the entire duration of your stay. To be on the safe side, make two copies (one to take with you and the other to leave behind in your home country in the care of a person you trust).
  • Please note that with regard to the use of a vehicle with a foreign registration plate in Austria, there are corresponding registration regulations!

    If you are travelling here by car, you must have an international driving license. Check with your nearest Austrian Consular office for more details about how to apply.
  • Notify your postal service of your new address, so that you will continue to receive important mail.
  • Bring with you your proof of health and accident insurance coverage (E111 or E128 or the e-card) or proof of private insurance coverage.
  • If necessary, ensure that you have travel insurance and liability insurance.
  • Bring sufficient cash in euros with you.
  • If necessary, bring a socket adapter for electrical devices (110 or 220 Volts).

Nationals of an EU/EEA country or Switzerland are exempt from visa requirements and enjoy freedom of establishment when in Austria. However, the financing for your stay must be guaranteed and adequate health insurance coverage is required.

Please note that any stay in Austria that extends longer than 3 months must be reported to the responsible domestic authority. Failure to comply with this requirement will result in a fine.

Please inform yourself in detail about the legal regulations before you arrive in Austria!

People who do not have EU/EEA or Swiss citizenship are referred to as "third-country nationals". Third-country nationals need a „Aufenthaltsbewilligung Studierender / Studierende“ (residence permit for students) for the duration of their stay and/or a visa to enter Austria.

Study in Austria

up to 6 monthslonger than 6 months

If you want to study in Austria for a period no longer than 6 months:

Total duration up to 90 days:
For a total duration of up to 90 days a Visa C is necessary. This allows you to enter and stay in Austria as well as all other Schengen countries.

Total duration of 91 days up to six months:
For a total duration of 91 days up to six months a Visa D is necessary, this allows you to enter and stay in Austria as well as all other Schengen countries.

The visa application needs to be submitted in person at the competent Austrian representative authority (embassy, consulate) in the country of residence and before travelling to Austria. Please note that it is not possible to apply for or extend any Visa from within Austria.

We strongly recommend you to inform yourself well ahead of time about Visa regulations. With the help of the Database Entry and Residence for Students and Researchers from the OeAD you can make individual queries and find the specific regulations applying to your case.

If your stay in Austria is longer than 6 months, it is necessary to apply for a “Residence Permit – Student”.

Information for students who are NOT entitled to visa free entry:
Applicants have to submit their application for a “Residence Permit – Student” at the competent Austrian representative authority in their country of residence. In case of a positive decision about the application by the residence authority in Austria, it is possible to apply for a Visa D at the representative authority to enter Austria. The representative authority will issue the Visa D for a validity period of four months. Subsequently, it is possible to enter Austria with the Visa D and collect the residence permit.

Information for students who are entitled to visa free entry:
Students who are entitled to enter Austria without requiring a visa may also submit their application at the locally competent residence authority. Please consider the relevant application deadlines.

We strongly recommend you to inform yourself well ahead of time about the residence permit regulations. With the help of the OeAD Database for entry and residence in Austria you can make individual inquiries about the regulations applying to you. 

Important and detailed information


  • After you have submitted your complete application and fulfilled the admission requirements, FH Vorarlberg University of Applied Sciences can issue, if required, a conditional confirmation of admission for you. This document can then be used for the application of the visa and residence permit.
  • Please make sure to start applying for a visa and/or residence permit as early as possible and in good time before the planned date of entry to Austria.
  • Certified documents may be required. Inform yourself in good time about the necessary proofs.
  • Make an appointment with the embassy in good time to avoid long waiting times.
  • Advance your application process by having all necessary documents available early enough.

Please note that all individuals (this applies to Austrian nationals, EU/EEC nationals and third-country nationals) who are residing in Austria must report to the registration office for the community of residence within 3 business days after arrival.

Nationals of EU/EEA countries and Switzerland, who are staying in Austria longer than 3 months, have to apply to the competent municipal authority for a document called "Anmeldebescheinigung" within the first 4 months of their stay. More information can be found on the homepage of the OeAD

In regards to the registration processes guest students will get support from the team of the International Office.