Data protection information for the use of Microsoft 365 incl. Microsoft Teams
FH Vorarlberg handles your personal data carefully and conscientiously. When processing data, we observe the legal national and European data protection regulations.
Purpose of data processing:
- The University of Applied Sciences Vorarlberg uses Microsoft 365 as a basis for teaching and in internal administration.
- Microsoft 365 provides tools for organization (e.g. calendar via Outlook, task management via Planner or Todo), collaboration (e.g. emails via Outlook, teams for text messages and video conferences) and document editing (e.g. Word or Excel). These tools can be used individually or in groups (e.g., courses, workgroups)
- The UAS provides all students and staff* with a Microsoft 365 account for the use cases just described.
Microsoft 365 (formerly Office 365) will be abbreviated as MS 365 in the following.
- The University of Applied Sciences Vorarlberg uses Microsoft Teams for teaching and communication in the internal administration as well as with external persons.
- Further information on data protection for courses and exams via Microsoft Teams can be found at www.fhv.at/lehre-msteams.
- Third-party apps can also be accessed via Microsoft Teams.
Categories of data subjects, data categories:
When using MS 365, personal data is processed.
1. MS 365
The following categories of data are processed:
a) From persons using or administering MS 365:
- Basic personal data name, email, group membership (e.g. cohort or department, status).
- Data which persons process or store themselves (protected in the personal area) or data which persons process and store together in groups (standardized or individually assigned authorizations).
- Email messages and attachments, office documents, calendars and tasks
- Chat messages, contributions in audio and video conferences
- Sent or shared files or information from shared screens
- Application metadata (e.g., timestamps, status indicators)
- Technical data for optimization of operations and for support (log files)
b) From individuals identifiable in communications and documents:
It is possible for users* to process, store and share personal or confidential data. The internal data protection requirements (Data Protection Handbook, IT-Security Guidelines,…) must be complied with in a binding manner; this is also stipulated in the training and service contracts.
2. Microsoft Teams
- Basic personal data: Name, e-mail address, photo and video data.
- Data that individuals process or store themselves: e.g., documents in Sharepoint, chat messages.
- Application metadata, e.g. online identification data, location data.
- Technical data for optimizing operations and for support (log files).
If you are in a contractual relationship with FH Vorarlberg (service contract, training contract), the data processing is based on Art. 6 para 1 lit. b) DSGVO for the performance of the contract and on the overriding legitimate interests of FH Vorarlberg GmbH, which are based on running a modern and efficient study and research operation including the associated administrative activities. In addition, data processing may also take place on the legal basis of your consent pursuant to Art. 6 para. 1 lit. a) DSGVO.
The provision of your personal data is not required by law, there is no obligation to do so. However, the provision of your personal data is necessary to the intended extent for the performance of the contract. If you do not provide us with the necessary data, we will not be able to fulfill contracts in part or in full.
- Microsoft Ireland Operations Limited, One Microsoft Place, South County Business Park, Leopardstown Dublin 18, Ireland; the transfer is for order processing and contract performance.
- Microsoft Corporation, One Microsoft Way Redmond, Washington 98052; the transfer is made for order processing and contract performance for its own purposes.
Information on Microsoft's data protection is available at https://privacy.microsoft.com/de-de/privacystatement and https://support.microsoft.com/de-de/privacy.
We would like to point out that Microsoft Corporation is based in the USA, which is considered a third country with an inadequate level of data protection from a data protection perspective. Vorarlberg UAS has agreed the standard contractual clauses with Microsoft Corporation. The standard contractual clauses are available as parts of the Online Service Terms on Microsoft's website at https://www.microsoft.com/de-de/licensing/product-licensing/products.aspx as Annex 2 of the Addendum to the Data Protection for Online Services.
The retention period is based on the processing activities of the personal data that take place using Microsoft systems.
Log data is stored for a period of 6 weeks, for login data the storage period is 26 weeks for contractual reasons.
Your data protection rights according to GDPR:
Please be aware that you generally have rights to access, rectify and erase your personal data, to restrict its processing, to obtain it in a portable format, to withdraw your consent and to object to its processing. You may address enquiries and requests on this topic to email@example.com.
If we process your personal data based on your consent, you may withdraw your consent at any time by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org, If data processing is based on the legitimate interests of FH Vorarlberg, you may object to this processing and include your reasons for the objection, however the lawfulness of data processing activity conducted prior to withdrawal or objection shall remain unaffected. If you believe data processing to be unlawful, we ask that you contact us by emailing email@example.com. Moreover, you have the right to lodge a complaint with the supervisory authority, the Austrian Data Protection Authority.
Fachhochschule Vorarlberg GmbH, Campus V, Hochschulstraße 1, 6850 Dornbirn, Austria,
E-Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org, +43 5572 792-0
Privacy officer: available at email@example.com
Should you have any questions or comments in relation to data protection at FH Vorarlberg, our internal contact person – who can be reached by email at firstname.lastname@example.org – will be happy to assist you.
This text is published in German and English. In case of ambiguities or disputes the German version shall be binding.