Entry and visa requirements for nationals of other countries (third countries)
People who do not have EU/EEA or Swiss citizenship are referred to as "third-country nationals". Third-country nationals need a „Aufenthaltsbewilligung Student“ (residence permit for students) for the duration of their stay and/or a visa to enter Austria.
Please find relevant details below.
If you want to study in Austria for a period of no longer than 6 months:
Total duration up to 90 days:
For a total duration of up to 90 days a Visa C is necessary. This allows you to enter and stay in Austria as well as all other Schengen countries.
Total duration of 91 days up to six months:
For a total duration of 91 days up to six months a Visa D is necessary, this allows you to enter and stay in Austria as well as all other Schengen countries.
The visa application needs to be submitted in person at the competent Austrian representative authority (embassy, consulate) in the country of residence and before travelling to Austria. Please note that it is not possible to apply for or extend any Visa from within Austria.
We strongly recommend you to inform yourself well ahead of time about Visa regulations. With the help of the Database "Entry and Residence for Students and Researchers" from the OeAD you can make individual queries and find the specific regulations applying to your case.
If your stay in Austria is longer than 6 months, it is necessary to apply for a “Residence Permit – Student”.
- Information for students who are NOT entitled to visa free entry:
Applicants have to submit their application for a “Residence Permit – Student” at the competent Austrian representative authority in their country of residence. In case of a positive decision about the application by the residence authority in Austria, it is possible to apply for a Visa D at the representative authority to enter Austria. The representative authority will issue the Visa D for a validity period of four months. Subsequently, it is possible to enter Austria with the Visa D and collect the residence permit.
- Information for students who are entitled to visa free entry:
Students who are entitled to enter Austria without requiring a visa may also submit their application at the locally competent residence authority. Please consider the relevant application deadlines.
We strongly recommend you to inform yourself well ahead of time about the residence permit regulations. With the help of the OeAD Database for entry and residence in Austria you can make individual inquiries about the regulations applying to you.
- Database Entry and visa requirements Residence for nationals of third countries Students and Researchers (OeAD)
- Working in Austria
- Health Insurance
- OeAD-Austrian Agency for Students International Cooperation in Education and Researchers Research
- After you have submitted your complete application and fulfilled the admission requirements, FHV can issue, if required, a conditional confirmation of admission for you. This document can then be used for the application of the visa and residence permit.
- Please make sure to start applying for a visa and/or residence permit as early as possible and in good time before the planned date of entry to Austria.
- Certified documents may be required. Inform yourself in good time about the necessary proofs.
- Make an appointment with the embassy in good time to avoid long waiting times.
- Advance your application process by having all necessary documents available early enough.