Simulation Game Accounting and Finance
|International Business Administration
|Business and Management
|Type of degree
Winter Semester 2023
|Course unit title
|Simulation Game Accounting and Finance
|Course unit code
|Language of instruction
|Type of course unit (compulsory, optional)
|Teaching hours per week
|Year of study
|Level of the course / module according to the curriculum
|Number of ECTS credits allocated
|Name of lecturer(s)
|Bernd HACKER, Martin HEBERTINGER
Basics of the module Accounting & Finance
The knowledge gained in the courses of the specialism accounting and finance and the practical project are applied in the simulation game. The results and the implementation are evaluated and reflected on together.
The practical application of methods of accounting and finance is practised in a simulation game lasting several days.
The simulation provides an error-tolerant, collaborative, problem-oriented, complex and authentic learning environment, insight into typical tasks and practical challenges, content and processes of accounting and finance.
- Students deliberately apply acquired knowledge in the field of accounting and finance to solve problems in the simulation.
- Students are able to display relationships between certain fields of accounting and finance and other areas within the business, as well as between theoretical concepts, methods and practical requirements.
- Students are able to practically perform several methods and techniques of accounting and finance in the simulation.
- Students can select intervention methods depending on the situation and are able to compare their potential effects for simulated processes and for real systems in an enterprise.
- Students are able to gain insights into real business processes and for the practice transfer they are able to reflect and describe realistic and non-realistic aspects of the simulation.
- Cross-linked, integrated and cross-sectoral thinking is encouraged and practised.
- Potential improvements are identified, solutions and improvements can be designed and implemented in the simulation and adapted flexibly according to the situation.
- The results of the simulation and applied simulation strategies can be assessed and solutions can be reflected.
- Conclusions and recommendations for potential improvements in corporate practice can be reasonably derived.
- Different solutions for typical accounting and finance problems can be evaluated in terms of success and impact.
Simulation game lasting several days including briefing, facilitation (concept phase and implementation phase), as well as debriefing and discussion, optional in-depth teaching units by teachers and presentations by students.
Active participation during the simulation
Reflective report on the simulation game with reflection on the simulation game process (strategies, decisions, applied knowledge, group dynamics etc.), reflecting on the similarities and differences between the simulation game and reality, derivation of generalisable findings, identification of learning outcomes and transfer of the experiences to their own practical example.
If applicable costs for a seminar facility if externally hosted.
Course material to the simulation game are provided.
Several days of face-to-face instruction with mandatory attendance