Simulation Game Human Resources & Organisation
|International Business Administration
|Business and Management
|Type of degree
Winter Semester 2023
|Course unit title
|Simulation Game Human Resources & Organisation
|Course unit code
|Language of instruction
|Type of course unit (compulsory, optional)
|Teaching hours per week
|Year of study
|Level of the course / module according to the curriculum
|Number of ECTS credits allocated
|Name of lecturer(s)
Human Resource Management & Organisation as choice of specialism
Basic courses of the module Human Resource Management & Organisation
The knowledge gained in the courses of the specialism Human Resource Management and the practical project is applied in the simulation game. The results and the implementation are evaluated and reflected on together.
The practical application of methods of human resource management is practised in a simulation game lasting several days.
The simulation provides an error-tolerant, collaborative, problem-oriented, complex and authentic learning environment, insight into typical tasks and practical challenges, content and processes of human resource management.
- Students consciously apply acquired knowledge in the field of human resource management to solve problems in the simulation.
- Students are able to show relationships between certain fields of human resource management and other areas within the business, as well as between theoretical concepts, methods and practical requirements.
- Students are able to carry out several methods and techniques of human resource management in a practical manner in the simulation.
- Students can select intervention methods depending on the situation and are able to compare their potential effects for simulated processes and for real systems in an enterprise.
- Students are able to gain insights for real business processes and they are able to reflect and describe realistic and non-realistic aspects of the simulation for practical transfer.
- Cross-linked, integrated and cross-sectoral thinking is encouraged and practised.
- Potential improvements are identified, solutions and improvements can be designed and implemented in the simulation and adapted flexibly according to the situation.
- The results of the simulation and applied simulation strategies can be assessed and solutions can be reflected upon.
- Conclusions and recommendations for potential improvements in corporate practice can be developed in a sensible manner.
- Different solutions for typical human resource management problems can be evaluated in terms of success and impact.
Simulation game lasting several days including briefing, facilitation (concept phase and implementation phase), as well as debriefing and discussion, optional in-depth teaching units by teachers and presentations by students.
Active participation during the simulation
Reflective report on the simulation game with reflection on the simulation game process (strategies, decisions, applied knowledge, group dynamics etc.), reflecting on the similarities and differences between simulation game and reality, derivation of generalisable findings, identification of learning outcomes and transfer of the experiences to their own practical example.
If applicable costs for a seminar facility if externally hosted.
Course material to the simulation game are provided.
Several days face-to-face instruction with mandatory attendance